...if I may
my 'evolution' post and our subsequent meeting has at least got us thinking/talking...BUT--
my goal for rogue is NOT to tackle specific topics of controversy, like abortion, war in iraq, etc. instead, what i think i failed to get across is my desire for us to engage GENERAL change by making people think. that is my goal--make people think. just THINK. i don't care about what, honestly, i guess. i'm wanting us to create large-scale, bold campaigns to wake up people. yes, i do NOT want to sponsor the debate team. yes, i do NOT want people arguing during rogue--it stresses me out! yes, i do NOT want to create distance between members by emphasizing our differences. what i want is to get on the same COMMON page and that is in an effort to get people thinking. isn't it what poets do? we're all thinkers...i just want us to think out loud.
talking as a group yesterday made me very aware of the fears that lurk within our small group. i think nearly all of us expressed discomfort (fear) at the idea of adding numbers to rogue. and i tried to assure you that we would not be doing so with reckless abandon. people will still have to apply and be 'interviewed.' but we cannot remain undersized.
i know that working within this forum is difficult--but because we only meet once a week, we need to get as much hashed out here as possible. here is what i want--a tentative agreement to get onboard and let me lead you through ONE campaign. i don't think you'll fully understand my mission unless you experience it.
if a picture is worth a 1000 words, then working with me on one project of the variety i have in mind will be worth 1000 attempts to explain my goal. besides, above i asked for a tentative agreement--that means you can back out at any time without prejudice from me. we keep our poetry fridays and just add something to our school experience to encourage poetic DAILY life.
ya dig? please save your cynicism for comments on a different post. i would like to get simple, raw feedback on this one.
easter
my goal for rogue is NOT to tackle specific topics of controversy, like abortion, war in iraq, etc. instead, what i think i failed to get across is my desire for us to engage GENERAL change by making people think. that is my goal--make people think. just THINK. i don't care about what, honestly, i guess. i'm wanting us to create large-scale, bold campaigns to wake up people. yes, i do NOT want to sponsor the debate team. yes, i do NOT want people arguing during rogue--it stresses me out! yes, i do NOT want to create distance between members by emphasizing our differences. what i want is to get on the same COMMON page and that is in an effort to get people thinking. isn't it what poets do? we're all thinkers...i just want us to think out loud.
talking as a group yesterday made me very aware of the fears that lurk within our small group. i think nearly all of us expressed discomfort (fear) at the idea of adding numbers to rogue. and i tried to assure you that we would not be doing so with reckless abandon. people will still have to apply and be 'interviewed.' but we cannot remain undersized.
i know that working within this forum is difficult--but because we only meet once a week, we need to get as much hashed out here as possible. here is what i want--a tentative agreement to get onboard and let me lead you through ONE campaign. i don't think you'll fully understand my mission unless you experience it.
if a picture is worth a 1000 words, then working with me on one project of the variety i have in mind will be worth 1000 attempts to explain my goal. besides, above i asked for a tentative agreement--that means you can back out at any time without prejudice from me. we keep our poetry fridays and just add something to our school experience to encourage poetic DAILY life.
ya dig? please save your cynicism for comments on a different post. i would like to get simple, raw feedback on this one.
easter

28 Comments:
We're adding numbers? That will be good...but do I understand that we're adding non-poets to our ranks? I clearly need to be around for discussion...
In respect to the post-
I agree, let's do it.
if people pre-pay the t-shirts, we'd have money enough to do them. i like the iron-on idea. let's look into that. and thank you, joe and KC for your willingness to try something new on faith.
perhaps we could, in future, use the fall to do one or 2 big thought-provoking campaigns, including something related to Red Ribbon Week (anti-drug themed event around Halloween)...because no one in the school does anything for RR Week anymore. and then we could do roguenight in the spring. it seems the snow-out for the past 2 years could be a larger message to propel us to change...
...cosmic flow
Did Wade ever finish reading it?
...anyway...Easter, you told me about how they used to dress random people up as ghosts and have them not speak all day in RR week as a message...is that what you're suggesting?
What's the "to _____ whatever"?
...and how many times have we suggested pre-selling t-shirts? Still a good idea, but unlikely (if past events are a prediction of future behavior) to happen.
Jessie-
The "to__________" thing is a campaign. It's one of the thought provokeing campaigns to make people think. It's "I'm not a slave to_____" and people could decide what to put in the blank:
Drugs
Pier Pressure
Violence
Alcohol
Absinance (lol)
etc.
I like it. It's just to show that we are free and we are our own people, but this wouldn't be just for us, it's for the school.
wow so many ideas so little time, i will do whatever needs to be done for this to workout well ( :
I'm all for this. There were some random things I was thinking about in response:
It seemed to me we were all concentrating very much on the controversy aspect of this (arguing/debating/whatever). I don't think that's exactly where you were heading, Easter?
In response to adding members--we've always had to add members and interview them, and adding not so great people has always been a problem we've had to deal with, so I think if we do this thing, it won't change much, except maybe have more or fewer people come in. If that makes any sense.
& I very much like that idea of t-shirts, and letting people choose what they say themselves.
Yes...but I still remember the nightmare of us trying to let people choose the color of their shirts and paint.
And I worry that our group of misfits won't be able to pull off the "slave" campaign without a backlash.
See you at school...
Rogue Night....Hm! Well, we just keep waiting and waiting and............Spring? I think not. Maybe Durring Black History Month.
I was thinking, the slave thing might havce a better affect in Black History Month. You know? Because Afirican American's were once slaves, so they might really support this campaign.
And nobody say that they will be offended, because the people at our school won't be. But I know someomne in Rogue would argue that African Americans at our school would be offended, they won't be.
i do not want to do the "i am not a slave" campaign during february because, joe, i DO think it could be construed as done in poor taste. that's why i said last week i want to get on this idea PRONTO. meanwhile, i will do some damage control via ms. johnson and the african american club to be sure no one mistakes our mission.
...I forgot about the black history month thing.
Yeah. I'm not afraid, Casey. I'm pretty used to our taking criticism right now. I just thought we should start thinking about the jeering now, for damage control. Especially if we go with the anti-drug campaign Joe seems to be suggesting.
Because I know our image does not match the ideals of drug-free America, regardless of the reality.
...You know, I suddenly feel like my last comment was in no way relevant.
I can't wait for Friday, either.
Ah Friday, so close, so close and yet so far for me. It seems that in my going on a ski trip, I will be missing Rogue Friday. I don't know how to show my dissappointment other than to say I will be looking eviously back on all of you as you are reading and I am setting on a bus for 13 hours headed for Co..
How soon for the Kick-off?
Posters are needed by when?
Spread th word to everyone or not?
if not...then when and how?
I have certainly always been an out doorsman, and I love every minute of it. And you, Casey, are an out-doors-woman? Or, a woman of the wilderness?
Suzanna, I agree, it would be fantastic if we could introduce it on Rogue night, which has to not be in February apperently, so, how about the last Thursday in January? It isn't too soon, everything is already printed. All we need is decor. Even that we have had to put together once already.
I say Last week in January. Anyone?
Ah, when is Rogue night?
... and the 13 hours on a bus is the best part of the Colorado trip. Or was, when I went freshman year.
Yeah. Well, I have been wanting to finish American Gods So I suppose it will be the perfect chance. I might even Read Journey To The Center of The Earth, I love Jules Verne.
oh, I just thought about this.
I think we should make magnets.
I know Rogue has once before.
I think it would be a great Idea to do it again.
Uh...why are we on your profile picture?
You're right. The magnets were a fantastic idea. And they're still everywhere around the school.
And it's been FOREVER since you started American Gods. Nigh on a year, now.
I have read a few scores of pages every once in a while....:-)
Well, I was trying to put everyone's faces on the pic, but I realized after I started that I didn't have everyone's face on my pictures. So, I did the best I could. I just wanted to see what it looked like. And since I spent about an hour on it trying to crop, copy paste...etc. It might stay for a week or two just to get the use out of it for the time put in.
Yeah. It might be time for a new post, seeing as none of these comments are relevant anymore.
Tomorrow is FRIDAY!
And Easter reserved SoB.
But what happnes if there is somebody already in there....Wade, I elect you as the bouncer for tomorrow. You should feel good about that. Kaytee Casey is next in line if Wade whimps out. have fun all!
it isn't rude if you ask nicely when you have no reservaion.
My last goodbye. Goodbye!
Yes. I noticed, too.
Two Rogue Nights snowed out and now an ice storm on the day we planned on rescheduling?
Oddly significant.
...I am sad because it's Friday and we didn't have Rogue and now I'm at home instead of out with Rogues.
Yes. No About a Boy for us...I'm not sure how that was going to work, anyway, seeing as the only place I can rent movies is currently closed because it's roof caved in.
I hope you at least have some Buffy to keep you entertained.
Quite possible.
That, or he's busy.
Pish, we have left mounds of simple raw feedback. Acres. Volumes. Cup fulls. Our simple raw feedback could give anyone else's simple raw feedback a run for it's simple raw money.
WINTER is to ROGUE as POLLUTION is to THE OZONE LAYER.
!
Post a Comment
<< Home