Saturday, January 13, 2007

reflecting

hello rogues,

sorry about the delay in updating.

i've been spending some time in healthy reflection. maybe it's the time of year; maybe its being snowed in...again. dunno. i am still feeling growing pains for rogue and am still in favor of modifying the definition of rogue, as an organ(ization). but i will attempt a readdressing of that in a future post. this one is just to sort of establish a fresh atmosphere for whatever needs discussed otherwise...like this:

i got a call from a lady who heard about us, and she has invited you to a poetry reading that will feature HS kids from many TPS HSs. it'll be at SoB on...the 30th of january. that's a tuesday, i think. she has asked me to help her out a little with getting people signed in, etc. that night. people will read in a random order that is established at the top of the night by drawing numbers out of a hat. BTW and EC will be represented. rogers, central, and hale have been contacted...and then there's YOU. i hope all of you will be on board for this event. we can wear rogue shirts if you like...or if we've begun our "slave" campaign we could do that instead. think about it.

also, since you've got some time while you're snowed in, consider doing some online research to track down some spring poetry competitions. SOMEBODY'S got to win them...it might as well be you guys. look for things with feb-april deadlines. usually those will announce winners during the summertime.

enjoy the cold,

easter

28 Comments:

Blogger kay-tizzle said...

Rogue is an organ. !

I know the library does a contest thing, but I think that starts in the summer...Further investigation will commence shortly...

& FALSE! in response to Suzanna.

1/13/2007 10:54:00 PM  
Blogger Joe said...

I'm finally here in Colorado. After a 26 hour bus drive because of the weather. OMG! I hate busses. On the other hand, I get to finaly ski tomorrow! After it being long awaited. I hope we are snowed out tuesday, THEN i GET TO STAY LONGER. nIGHT! I have to go to bed.

1/13/2007 11:08:00 PM  
Blogger kay-tizzle said...

Explosive amounts of punctuation.

Google is yielding very few results of the poetry-contest-type variety. Or maybe I'm just impatient.

1/13/2007 11:16:00 PM  
Blogger Margaret said...

hmm what time is the sob thing, i need to know because i work that day: /

1/13/2007 11:57:00 PM  
Blogger Jessie ᏤᏏ said...

yeah...
that could be lame. is it an evening thing or an afternoon thing? i need to know what time the reading is on the 30th because i've already scheduled flying with Yann that day. remind me never, ever to schedule the whole month in advance again -- it didn't work out at all.
i could be there if it was at 8 or so, or if necessary i can reschedule.

1/14/2007 10:35:00 AM  
Blogger Jessie ᏤᏏ said...

it should be noted that i meant missing it would be lame.

ambiguity will be the death of me yet.

and i like how we're an organ, having skipped the tissue phase. we might as well be a system, too.

1/14/2007 11:13:00 AM  
Blogger RoguePoets said...

we're systemic.

1/14/2007 12:19:00 PM  
Blogger Jessie ᏤᏏ said...

ah. like a virus?

1/14/2007 02:29:00 PM  
Blogger RoguePoets said...

if you take ORGAN and add SYSTEMIC do we become ORGASTEMIC? and if so, what would THAT mean? a group of structured tissues with the mission of feeling good? hex yeah.

1/14/2007 03:42:00 PM  
Blogger Joe said...

Do I hear that school is snowed out Tuesday? Yes I do! But I'm not sure if it's true. Whether we are or are not, were snowed in so I am leaving Tuesday morning instead of Monday.

I love contests. Compitition, ah, love it. January 30th! LEts make them all know what poetry really is!

1/14/2007 09:55:00 PM  
Blogger Jessie ᏤᏏ said...

It's possible that I just woke my parents up with my laughter.

Orgastemic, indeed. I like it.

I hope there's no school on Tuesday. I'm thinking that if they add any more days to the end of the year to make up for snow, it won't matter. Since we will have graduated and all.

1/14/2007 10:44:00 PM  
Blogger Margaret said...

so time for the sob contest?
and joe get your butt back to tulsa!!! we're having school on tuesday!!!

1/14/2007 11:16:00 PM  
Blogger Joe said...

If only I couldn't come back, and I could ski and board forever.

Margo, how do you know that there WILL be school on Tuesday? HM!

Poetry 2nd hour! And I have to miss the first day of it if school isn't snowed out.

And Tennis 7th hour! I am goin to be the Manager which also gets to play tennis. Amazing.

Is anyone else haveing classes changed? I know Kaytee and Suzanna have poerty also.

Poerty is all spelled on the same line on a key board, and almost in order.

1/14/2007 11:52:00 PM  
Blogger RoguePoets said...

rouge is a poerty group.

1/15/2007 10:46:00 AM  
Blogger Jessie ᏤᏏ said...

Haha. "Poerty" rather sounds like "perdy".

I wish I was taking poetry. I did get out of Physics to be Dr. Davis' lab tech, though. I'm psyched.

1/15/2007 01:18:00 PM  
Blogger RoguePoets said...

traditional sonnet = shakespearean sonnet--14 lines (3 quatrains + 2 lines) w/ last 2 being a rhymed couplet. all lines are written in iambic pentameter and have a rhyme scheme of abab in the first quatrain, cdcd in the second and efef in the third, making that last couplet gg. hmmm...modern sonnet? i dunno, honestly. typically when something is said to be 'modern' it means the restrictive/specific rules of the 'traditional' form are reduced to guidelines. i'm thinking of the diff between traditional haiku and "american" haiku. simply put, the "american" haiku are lame. they don't HAVE to be 5-7-5 nor do they HAVE to have a reference to nature (much less an attention to kigo and satori).

1/15/2007 01:44:00 PM  
Blogger Jessie ᏤᏏ said...

What? No wonder Stevenson has been calling that crap Haiku for the last couple of years. I wondered.

My favorite is still this one by Eddie Fairchild:
"Alligators have
Like zero sense of humor
When it comes to sex."

1/15/2007 02:51:00 PM  
Blogger Joe said...

Wade seems frustrated, to ask or not to ask....

You guys make nspelling mistakes too! Only the majority of mine are from pressing the wrong key on accident. Coming home tomorrow, be back on Wednesday!

1/15/2007 04:42:00 PM  
Blogger Jessie ᏤᏏ said...

I certainly don't make nspelling mistakes.
Sometimes I make typos, though.

...Yeah...I think Wade's frustrated at the ice because he wants to leave his house. School is already cancelled for tomorrow. Yippee! ......oh, senior slackerdom.

...I don't know how to scan poetry in English. Maybe if I think about Latin scansion for long enough, it'll come to me and I can help.

In Latin, words have as many syllables as they do vowels or diphthongs. That much is the same in English, I know. Diphthongs are always long. Accents on other vowels are determined based on the vowels' position in relation to single or double consonants...of course, dactylic hexameter is a lot less predictable than iambic pentameter. As these things go, anyway.

It seems that in English it would be very easy to determine whether something IS written in iambic pentameter but not necessarily easy to write something in it.

1/15/2007 05:08:00 PM  
Blogger Margaret said...

Well, now I know all about sonnets, English poems and even some Latin facts but yet the time of the sob contest is still unclear to me : /
also, sadness because there will be no poetry class for us tomorrow....

1/15/2007 05:24:00 PM  
Blogger kay-tizzle said...

AGH.
School should occur. That is an awful, dirty thought but I'm thinking it. It must be some form of insanity brought on by hypothermia. Staying inside for extended periods of time is wearing away at my already fragile mind. Every time I look outside a window a little part of my DIES inside.
Haroom.

1/15/2007 05:31:00 PM  
Blogger kay-tizzle said...

However, watching the cars get stuck in the ice at the top of my hill is slightly entertaining. But then they rock out and there goes my fun.

1/15/2007 05:32:00 PM  
Blogger Jessie ᏤᏏ said...

Huh. I haven't even heard of Teen Ink magazine.

I don't think anything I read advertises poetry contests, though.

The Congressman et al. moved out, and now I have no one to laugh at when they get their bigass SUV stuck in the snow purpendicular to the flow of traffic. Alas.

1/15/2007 06:41:00 PM  
Blogger RoguePoets said...

margaret: sorry not to reply--i'm thinking the gig is sometime around 6:30p and will probably run for an hour...but that's just a guess (on the duration).

i think in honor of our having another day to forget what the world outside is like, i will have to post afresh tomorrow.

1/15/2007 08:12:00 PM  
Blogger Joe said...

It's very unfortunate that you guys don't like the snow/ice. Wade, you are pathetic, especially when you so easily disobey the second commandment of your very own God. Good job.

Senator gone!? Where did he go? Not that anyone cares. hahaha.

School......out.......yes!

1/15/2007 10:30:00 PM  
Blogger Jessie ᏤᏏ said...

So, I'm really glad you guys got to go to the cabin last summer.

Because I just found out this morning that a tree fell on it and now there's nothing left but "a little bit of the kitchen". It'll be rebuilt, but I don't know when and it won't be the same.

1/16/2007 11:21:00 AM  
Blogger Jessie ᏤᏏ said...

Yeah...the weirdest part is that it's no secret that mom's been wanting to rebuild it for a long time now. And now she can but she can't rejoice because we're all sad.

1/16/2007 05:11:00 PM  
Blogger Joe said...

Ah yes, the old Boy Scout Promiss. Well, it still works. I used it this weekend and got caught someone in a big lie. So it does still mean something thankfully.

Such a negative lookout on 2007, well here are some thoughts about symbolism:
The cabin? A new Beginning.
The ice? Cleansing and Inspiration.
Rogues not meeting? Thought & Bonds(as in we all want to see eachother which shows us all how much we like eachother)
Illness? Strength and stamina
finally,Hair!? Rebirth and courage.
Now tell me how any of these things could be bad in this sence. And no, I'm not asking for some sly rude-ass-bitchy-sarcastic comment.

I'll try to post stuff on xanga: www.xanga.com/brooklynboy08

1/18/2007 09:32:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home