Rogue Applicants Week
This post is to serve as a reminder that this Friday is the day our applicants will meet with us. I'm pasting in a copy of the letter I sent out to each of them. Please be sure you're available to hang out AFTER 5:30p. I would like the current staff to think-tank for a while after the applicants leave because, as you'll see in their letter, I have announced that we will declare our new membership next Monday, 4/2.
Letter:
Dear Rogue Applicant,
I am happy to tell you that we reviewed your essay, and we would like to extend an invitation to you to come to our meeting this Friday, 30 March. Weather permitting, we will meet at Zink Park (31st & Utica) directly after school for a meeting lasting from about 4:00p – 5:30p. We will meet by the tennis/basketball courts; Easter will want to talk briefly with your parent/guardian. You will need to arrange your own transportation. If there is a conflict, and you need help getting a ride, see Easter. He will have you complete a form and will contact your parent/guardian to get their approval to attend the meeting. In the event of inclement weather, we will meet in Easter’s room, 229, and hold our meeting there.
The meeting is the next phase of our informal interview process. We would like simply for you to interact with current staffers and experience a typical Rogue meeting. Please bring some of your poetry with you that you’d be willing to share with the group. You can bring your spiral or journal—or just some loose poems from your collection. We ask you to do this as proof that you are an actively writing poet.
As you know, not everyone who applies will be brought on as a staffer. Our goal is to keep a staff of about 10; that true, we have about 5 slots to fill (based on our graduating seniors). Nine people applied. Because our 5 non-graduating staffers are ALL sophomores, we’re certainly looking to diversify in terms of grade classification. The staff will take into consideration your essay, pledge of commitment, and comfortable, positive interaction with the group in making their decision of whom to invite on as a staffer. The decision will be announced on Monday, 2 April 2007.
Please keep in mind that this Friday’s meeting is equally about your getting to know us and about what we do as it is about our getting to know you. In effect, you’re interviewing us, too, to be sure our group appears to be the kind you’d like to join. If we invite you on as a staffer, you will be asked whether you accept or decline—in case, after our Friday meeting, you decide you’re no longer interested in being a staffer.
We are grateful you took the time to apply, and we enjoyed reading your application. We are very excited about meeting you in person.
Warm Regards,
The ’06 – ’07 Staff of Rogue
I know, I know. It' s way formal and completely UNlike the type of letter you all received. But with so many applicants, there are a lot of unknowns--and I feel the need to be as specific and "official" sounding as possible, at least for the time being.
Be sure you've chosen a poem you'd like to share (something you really like of your own); be sure, too, that you've practiced reading it aloud so we can look like a group of accomplished writers.
Heart 12million,
Easter
Letter:
Dear Rogue Applicant,
I am happy to tell you that we reviewed your essay, and we would like to extend an invitation to you to come to our meeting this Friday, 30 March. Weather permitting, we will meet at Zink Park (31st & Utica) directly after school for a meeting lasting from about 4:00p – 5:30p. We will meet by the tennis/basketball courts; Easter will want to talk briefly with your parent/guardian. You will need to arrange your own transportation. If there is a conflict, and you need help getting a ride, see Easter. He will have you complete a form and will contact your parent/guardian to get their approval to attend the meeting. In the event of inclement weather, we will meet in Easter’s room, 229, and hold our meeting there.
The meeting is the next phase of our informal interview process. We would like simply for you to interact with current staffers and experience a typical Rogue meeting. Please bring some of your poetry with you that you’d be willing to share with the group. You can bring your spiral or journal—or just some loose poems from your collection. We ask you to do this as proof that you are an actively writing poet.
As you know, not everyone who applies will be brought on as a staffer. Our goal is to keep a staff of about 10; that true, we have about 5 slots to fill (based on our graduating seniors). Nine people applied. Because our 5 non-graduating staffers are ALL sophomores, we’re certainly looking to diversify in terms of grade classification. The staff will take into consideration your essay, pledge of commitment, and comfortable, positive interaction with the group in making their decision of whom to invite on as a staffer. The decision will be announced on Monday, 2 April 2007.
Please keep in mind that this Friday’s meeting is equally about your getting to know us and about what we do as it is about our getting to know you. In effect, you’re interviewing us, too, to be sure our group appears to be the kind you’d like to join. If we invite you on as a staffer, you will be asked whether you accept or decline—in case, after our Friday meeting, you decide you’re no longer interested in being a staffer.
We are grateful you took the time to apply, and we enjoyed reading your application. We are very excited about meeting you in person.
Warm Regards,
The ’06 – ’07 Staff of Rogue
I know, I know. It' s way formal and completely UNlike the type of letter you all received. But with so many applicants, there are a lot of unknowns--and I feel the need to be as specific and "official" sounding as possible, at least for the time being.
Be sure you've chosen a poem you'd like to share (something you really like of your own); be sure, too, that you've practiced reading it aloud so we can look like a group of accomplished writers.
Heart 12million,
Easter

26 Comments:
that's scary Casey.
Yeah......No Jessie. .AGAIN!
It's like you have graduated! Well, the 6th I suppose. Maybe we could have a meeting next Tuesday? I know it is the day after new Rogues are let on, but that's perfect. It can be almost like a welcome party. Well? I need more poetry in my life.
I work on Tuesdays ) ': buuut I don't work this Friday so count me in for the after meeting hanging out! i read Cameron's letter and it made me feel bad because the old once are so much cooler, mine is in my memory box and i dug it out last night. it is just beautiful ( :
that's amazing! Congrats from me and Kaytee. "I'm peeing myself" kaytee told me to tell you. We're at a study group. Congrats. again!
Yay! Casey, that's awesome!
...alas. I thought I was going, too. But I'm a dumbass and forgot about Latin convention, so I'll be in Putnam City. Don't think I won't be calling you at 5:30, barring testing conditions or gladiatorial games. And you can put me on speaker phone.
I hate that I've missed so many meetings. Would anyone just want to meet/hang out at Cherry street tomorrow? Or possibly somewhere outside but covered, since I hear it's going to rain.
I'm going to transfer my excitement about meeting the applicants to excitement for meeting your choices for new Rogues. You'll pick the right ones. There haven't really been any wrong Rogues. We've learned something from them all, at the least.
<3 12,
the already-graduated rogue
KC.
Oh, KC: Congratulations.
...and...
i'm going to start calling you 'da duchess'.
...I'm so tired of tomorrow happening.
But I AM really excited about Casey's being a Blue Devil.
CASEY.
CASEY.
I'm exuding ecstatic...ness...in your general direction. SO MUCH.
& so we're reading...old stuff on Friday then?
No, just our favorite/really good stuff.
Yeah for Casey again!
Homework left to do. I left my essay/the corrected one in your class room Easter. Good thing I kinda memorized all the corrections.
Ich bin sehr mude. Es its 1:57. Ah, I need to sleep. Homework sucks!
Homework and midnight are a lethal combination. I think it's the let-down of midnight coming around and drudgery happening instead of fun.
Buttons.
I love the word lethal, it reminds me of a Blue October song ( :
...I want it to storm harder.
The sky listened.
That rocked.
A good day, after all.
i had a tornado dream. it was amazing. i saw the energy of its birth, an electric greenish yellow light. i watched it cut into the sky like a wound of deep purply black static; it stretched downward in the sky like thick, spinning everything. it was beautiful.
Oh, man.
Poissons d'avril is upon us!
Do our new Rogues have the addy for the site yet?
we don't have any new rogues yet...we're going to check to see what happened w/ cameron & have an informal interview w/ bailey. will fill in on details tomorrow a.m.
buttons, anyone?
Yes. I realized what a dumb question that was, just now, and came to delete it. Alas.
Yes...the Cameron thing is mysterious. Surely in those fifteen minutes he didn't decide to rescind his application?
That might have been the wrong verb. In any case, I'm on board for buttons tomorrow.
Suzanna was telling me that he said something about his dad being a jerk about it...? He apparently said he'd come talk to you Easter, but that's just what I heard.
& yay, buttons.
This comment has been removed by the author.
I'm shinin' like a bulblight.
Sorry i haven't been commenting. I know the lack of misspelling on the site must have been devistating for all of you. My internet has been down for a few days. I got it to work tonight, but only wirelessly. And my wirless internet has the lowest bit/soemthing rate possible while still beeing connected. It takes 5 minutes for each page to load. I can only imagine how long it will take for me to post this commnet. I can't be there in the morning. Correction, I'll be there from 6:45 to 7:30 hangin' up posters then off to the test that decides whether I'm like everyone else or not. The question on my mind, "ZCan I parallel park a Ford F-150 Truck with a tono-cover that doesn't allow me to see over the back and a hood that seems to have no end due to it's cuves?" Well, I sure hope so. Wish me luck.
rrrrrrg. Can't find my hall pass. The washing machine stikes again. Sorry, may or may not be in your room for buttons today, Easter...
Jeez. Paper and its stupid inability to withstand large quantities of water.
Damn the washing machine. It's taken things from me, too, Kaytee.
Good luck, Joe. Wade forgot to qualify -- parallel parking isn't important as long as you do well on everything else. At least you're conscious of the differences in a truck, and that'll help. I didn't realize the Audi's steering is so much better than the driving school's car, and definitely steered it right into the curb. But I passed, so it was okay.
Of course it will -- it'll be Rogue.
I haven't been in about a month, and you wouldn't believe me if I told you how much I missed it. Seriously. That's gonna suck in the fall.
can i just say how ready i am to settle the staff thing? damn. it's working my mind a LOT this year because of the blessing of too many applicants.
i've got it: Varsity Rogue and Rogue JV!
DONE!
lol...yeah, lol. too bad, though.
Post a Comment
<< Home