Saturday, February 24, 2007

New Idea & Table Decor Reminder, etc.

OK. I'm going to make this short--but I just had a vision of a skrim on our tiny stage in the snackbar and a spotlight. The poet would not be viewable while reading except for by shadowy silhoutte. It would be cool looking and may make the poet more at ease to read with feeling. I can explain more if this is unclear. Edit-->If we string up a sheet to block the view of the podium, mic, and reader and put a really bright spotlight-type light on stage BEHIND the person, the effect to the audience would be just the silhoutte of a person reading. The audience would have to focus on the words, the voice--not the person. And the reader would feel more at ease without thinking people are staring at them directly. Unless there is any good reason NOT to do this, I want to try it. The effect of our whole night could be revamped by this and our unified table decor. I like the idea of change.

Edit-->Also, I had this idea: Door prizes. It can be something we advertise this week if you guys like the idea. We can put #s on the placecards where people will be sitting. At random times during the reading, we can draw a number and give out a totally weird $1 Store gift.

Edit-->Last (for edits), I want us to autograph 20 copies of '06-'07 Rogue. We will give these to patrons who donate $5 or more for a copy of Rogue. Every year some people, when they hear that the cost of Rogue is "suggested" $1.00 but "donations are welcome," they over-pay just to be nice. I would like to reward that generosity with a special copy of Rogue. We can make an annoucement to that effect at the top of RogueNight.

Next, remember: Table decor needs to be completely ready by Tuesday--not just a representative sampling of what you plan to do, but ALL of what you're going to do needs to be done. There are 11 tables. Some people (3) need to do 2. Volunteers?

I'm thinking that we need to do a $1 Tree run tomorrow afternoon...maybe 5:00p-ish. Takers?

I think that's all for now. I'll post a comment if I think of anything I've left out. By the way, my conference in Norman was fun.

Heart 12,

Easter

19 Comments:

Blogger Joe said...

So, fun you say? Hm.......

I get what you are saying.

2/25/2007 12:25:00 PM  
Blogger RoguePoets said...

...no one has volunteered for anything nor mentioned availability for a $1 Tree run today. really? i'll go on my own, but you can't complain if you don't like what i select. basically, i'm just looking for table coverings to put on the big windows, a pack or 2 of hangers, and any incidentals we spot.

also, please stop and reread the post. i edited it and added stuff.

2/25/2007 01:42:00 PM  
Blogger RoguePoets said...

what i was trying to say in my previous comment was it's no BIG deal if no one wants to do the $1 Tree run today because there aren't a LOT of things that need picked out.

margaret, wade, suzanna, KT: plz comment so i know you're up-to-date. jessie called earlier because she's out of town.

2/25/2007 01:57:00 PM  
Blogger kay-tizzle said...

Sick. Throat feels like someone took a piece of steel wool to it. Not good for much of anything right now, else I'd gladly partaking in the Dollar Tree adventuring. The silhoutte is a neat idea. I can do a second table. I WILL come to school tomorrow, come hell or high water.

2/25/2007 03:43:00 PM  
Blogger RoguePoets said...

thank you, dear. since kt is not feeling 100% and no one else has offered to go to $1 Tree, i am going to do this on my own.

suzanna, wade, margaret...still waiting to hear from you...(hint, hint)

2/25/2007 04:11:00 PM  
Blogger Margaret said...

I'm here and up to date. Katie I feel your pain because I probably have the same thing....it's been getting worse for a week now so my mom wants to take me to the doctor tomorrow which means I don't know if I'll be at school. If we need to go to the $1 store tomorrow I can make it but not today because I'm working all day, in fact I'm late for work already lol Also working on my table and will have it by Tuesday.

2/25/2007 04:50:00 PM  
Blogger RoguePoets said...

thanks, margaret. i hope you & kt feel better soon! gargling w/ salt water often helps a raw or sore throat. but just gargle. if you drink it, you'll have diarrhea. if you guys are ache-y or feverish, you've probably got flu. it takes a while to wear it down; meanwhile, it wears you WAY down. oh, my poor rogues!

2/25/2007 05:21:00 PM  
Blogger Jessie ᏤᏏ said...

Damn. Two down for RogueWeek? Dangerous.

Tomorrow, I'm so in for the Dollar Tree. With the added necessity of buying fantabulous door prizes, we should definitely go in force. And en masse.
Sorry about today/yesterday and my lack of availability for commenting and shopping. I was in Edmond and then Fayetteville. Home now, for realz.

Remind me to tell you of my father and the insult of the year.

2/25/2007 06:17:00 PM  
Blogger Joe said...

Yeah, I definatly can't go, if it were still possible, to the Dollar tree tomorrow(monday night). I am supposed to have a long rehersal and then Boy Scouts.

Heres another problem. I will NOt be at SCHOOL THURSDAY. I have Youth Leadership Tulsa. I will ba back at the beginning of 7th hour, so I can spend 7th hour helping. Then I have rehersal, I will try my hardest to have Mr. Morris let me out early because I know this is going to be a shi load of work to set up.

2/25/2007 06:55:00 PM  
Blogger RoguePoets said...

i think wade is the last to comment.

the clock's tickin', wade.

joe--conflict is not a problem as long as you're available by 5:00p. that'll give you time to set up your table(s) and bond w/ da group before show-time. plz tell morris tomorrow that you need to be released at 5:00p.

2/25/2007 08:00:00 PM  
Blogger Jessie ᏤᏏ said...

Balloons are another thing that need to be purchased. And blown up all day Thursday.

I know you said you were going to have your classes blow some balloons up, but I anticipate our needing to assist in inflating, writing on, and transporting balloons...

And what kind of Rogue is gone on the day of RogueNight? A Deena-type one.

2/25/2007 08:31:00 PM  
Blogger kay-tizzle said...

My mom thinks I have strep. I think it's just the flu. Either way, she won't let me come to school til I get a strep test. Sorry guys. :[

2/26/2007 07:09:00 AM  
Blogger kay-tizzle said...

Blah, they definitely should.

Also: are we on for music type things? Should I use the endless, boundless stretch of free time before my doctor's appointment to make RogueMusic?

2/26/2007 09:04:00 AM  
Blogger RoguePoets said...

yes! i'm thinking we should have music w/ very poetic lyrics that are easy to understand--like that Regina Spektor song we listened to in class. they don't all have to be like that--some can be more geared to background music. but i would like some that we could actually play and encourage the audience to listen. i def want that corporate ghost song on there. keep language in mind--no curse words (damn is OK but no sh*t or worse). hope you're feeling betterish.

2/26/2007 11:57:00 AM  
Blogger Joe said...

Um...kaytee, i think you gave me what you have. So after you go to the doctor, tell me what you have.

Also, please DO NOT compare me to Denna. No offence of course. Don't you love lent?

2/26/2007 12:34:00 PM  
Blogger kay-tizzle said...

k, will keep poetic lyrics in mind, and clean lyrics. I definitely forgot that word was in that line last Thursday (oops?). I might run over to two CDs, but only because I have so much free time on my hands.

& joe, I've yet to get doctor confirmation, but I'm pretty sure I've got strep.

2/26/2007 01:01:00 PM  
Blogger RoguePoets said...

kt: chamomile tea is good for strep. and so is garlic. if you've got strep, you should avoid throat irritants like cig smoke...u have an air purifier for your room? oh, and remember what i said about gargling salt water. these things will help, i promise. if you need anything (like cham tea or garlic, lemme know).

2/26/2007 01:48:00 PM  
Blogger Joe said...

Well, I have white bumps on the back of my throat. So, as says Kaytee, I "most likly" have strep. Fun Fun.

2/26/2007 07:11:00 PM  
Blogger kay-tizzle said...

I apparently do NOT have strep! So you might not either, Joe. The cham tea actually helped a lot, though, so thanks for that suggestion, Easter. I will be in early like normal tomorrow. Are we bringing our table stuff then or should we just have it ready?

2/26/2007 08:35:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home