Wednesday, April 02, 2008

To market, to market to buy a fat pig...or not.

A parent's hardest struggle is figuring out how to appropriately motivate his children without enabling them--to offer fair discipline but not be so strict as to restrict creativity... Here's the deal: I've threatened--recently--to cancel our involvement in Spring Market because of the EXTREMELY low attendance at a.m. work sessions. There are more than a few of you I haven't even seen ONCE. We went around the circle at Zink Park, and I had each of you argue your case about whether you'd be supportive of the event. All but Wade were on board. I was iffy... You're making me believe now, in these days where we SHOULD be working, that you lied about your commitment (the majority of you), and a lie must have a consequence.

So--back to my opening to this post--I'm trying to figure out what a fair punishment will be for that lie. I don't want to enable you to go on into life making commitments, then not fulfilling them, and feeling no punishment. You need to learn that there are consequences. But I want the consequences not to be too strict, else I punish unnecessarily hard and in doing so, damage the larger morale of the group. Do you recognize my dilemma?

Personally, I have committed to doing Spring Market; that's why I haven't cancelled outright. And what I've decided to do as 'punishment' is as follows: To secure your current spot as a member of RogueStaff, you will have to create a minimum of 12 sellable objects by within a week of Market. Twelve--and they have to be approved of by me before they count toward your twelve. I will keep a notebook of your contributions. You can do the work at home; you can do the work at school. You can do the work at a weekend event we'll have sometime. The work can consist of beaded necklaces or random art projects. Each item of work should represent a thing we could sell for at least $5. And yes, five small items that might sell for $1 each could represent ONE of your twelve total items.

If you fail to produce your twelve, you will forfeit your position on staff. I will count your lack of commitment as an equivalent offense of BoDs to get you kicked off without probation.

That's an executive decision that cannot/will not be argued.

This Friday: Those of you who show will come shopping with me for art supplies so long as your parents are down with that. It will sub-in for a normal reading, but we'll try to scrape off some time for that, too. We'll do our shopping at the Hobby Lobby @ 51st/Harvard, by the way. Please post if you'll be at the meeting so I can make a list and figure out if I need to raise my back seats...

Easter

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, you really thought this through. I'll try and scrounge up something that I can make that will sell. I really don't feel able to work with those beads..I will think up of some ideas and get my 12 started.

4/02/2008 04:09:00 PM  
Blogger Margaret said...

Ok I love the plan and will get my 12 done at home or at a meeting because mornings are impossable for me. This Friday I have to be at work by 6 which means I don't know if I should come. I don't want to make anybody drive back to 41st & Peoria. Maybe a small meeting at Shades before? Also No Joe as a driver because of the art trip.

4/02/2008 04:14:00 PM  
Blogger Caseyraquelle said...

Ummmmm, I will definatly be at the meeting but my moms driving ma, so no problem getting me a ride and I think that's fair and I'll be there from now on! I promise!

4/02/2008 04:28:00 PM  
Blogger wade said...

Ill get my own work done at home.

ill come up with something on my own but really do not expect me in the mornings. ill disappoint you if you do.

ps when is spring market?

4/02/2008 04:50:00 PM  
Blogger Joe said...

yeah!

4/02/2008 05:16:00 PM  
Blogger wade said...

nvm the 23rd right?

4/02/2008 05:18:00 PM  
Blogger lorelei said...

hmmmmmmmmmmmmm
i think thats fair.

4/02/2008 05:49:00 PM  
Blogger kay-tizzle said...

A'ight.

4/02/2008 06:59:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yalls are in trouble! Just kidding haha. We are ready to go shopping today! See all the non-losers after school!

4/04/2008 08:29:00 AM  
Blogger RoguePoets said...

if there are things any of you can think of that we might need as supplies, post the item and the exact cost (research Michael's, HobbyLobby, etc. for the necessary information). if i have exact costs, i'll consider sending $ with someone to purchase additional, approved goods. otherwise, i will look to you guys for the materials--meaning, you will supply them with your own money...consider it making a RogueDonation. starting monday, i will begin recording items toward your personal 12 (representing the potential of $60 revenue).

4/04/2008 03:25:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home